Thursday, July 21, 2016

UBT Review: Disney’s Beauty and the Beast from Theatre Under the Stars

Disney's Beauty and the Beast is an enchanting musical for the entire family, and the first Disney film ever to make the leap to stage. The 'tale as old as time' follows Belle, a young woman in a provincial town, and the Beast, a young prince transformed by a wicked spell. If the Beast can learn to be loved, the curse will end and he will be restored. But time is running out...


Our Mommy Ambassador Melissa was thrilled to have the opportunity to take her daughters to see the show.

I’m not embarrassed at all to admit that I still have every single Beauty and the Beast soundtrack song memorized. In fact, as I watched the TUTS performance of this Disney classic at the Malkin Bowl on its opening night, my five-year old daughter stared at me suspiciously as I belted every tune along with the cast. In her eyes, perhaps I was now just a bit cooler than before – or perhaps she was a bit embarrassed? Either way, the show was thoroughly enjoyable. But honestly, the stage could have been empty, save the outstanding performances of Lumiere (played by Victor Hunter) and Gaston (played by Dane Szohner). Seriously. That’s how incredible the performances of both these gentlemen were – they stole the show!

After digging a bit on the internet to learn about these two, I’m now convinced that I needed to see Hunter as Lord Farquaad in Shrek the Musical. Maybe another time, as I’ve missed it now.

But otherwise, the night was truly splendid. Since my family and I reside in the Fraser Valley, we rarely get a chance to venture out to Vancouver. I had truly forgotten how beautiful Stanley Park is – lush greenery, and those well-kept gardens are amazing!

The Malkin Bowl was set up in such a lovely, intimate setting for the show, and the set design and costumes were impressive. The show kept true to it’s Disney roots, with the additions of a few new songs, and overall, all of the performances were amazing.

Even a few rain drops on our heads failed to deter the audience from laughing, singing and having a ball watching the story unfold. Both Jaime Piercy as Belle and Peter Monaghan as Beast are delightful, bringing an authentic yet unique energy to this beloved classic. And major honorable mentions to Cogsworth, played by Steven Greenfield (I marvelled at how well he kept his arms and legs bent like the hands of a clock)and LeFou (played by Nicholas Bradbury).

I think a TUTS yearly visit will be in the cards for my family. What a treat – a wonderful night for the whole family! Disney’s Beauty and the Beast and West Side Story, running July 6 - August 20, 2016 on alternating evenings at Stanley Park’s Malkin Bowl. For more information or to purchase tickets checkout www.tuts.ca/2016-show-information

Enter to win a pair of tickets to see TUTS Beauty and the Beast. Enter at www.urbanbaby.ca in the contest section. Good Luck! Contest closes Friday, August 12th, 2016

No comments: